On Campus

4th March 2021

Student Mental Health Awareness Day

1 in 4 experience a mental health problem each year in England. 

1 in 6 report a common mental health problem (anxiety, depression) any given week in England

We all suffer from mental health. Yet it is still an illness many of choose to ignore. 

Just like our physical health, good mental health is crucial to our wellbeing and development.

This year has been difficult for so many and for students it has been no exception. 

At LGSM we have been lucky enough to sit down and discuss student mental health with mental health campaigner and UoL student Ben West, as well as the Vice President and Deputy President of the Liverpool Guild of Students; Ffion Gwawr-Thomas and Imogen De Castro-Gray. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwbEI7AAXxY

You Are Not Alone 

Remember that help is always available. If you need support and advice check out the following services below. 

Samaritans- 116 123

Call for confidential, judgement free support 24/7, 365 days a year. 

For more information on Samaritans click here.

SHOUT- Text “Shout” to 85258

Text Shout to 85258 for confidential, anonymous support via text, 24/7, 365 days a year. 

For more information on SHOUT click here.

PAPYRUS 

PAPYRUS (Prevention of young suicide) is an organisation specialising in the awareness of young suicide. Their website features a bevy of information on recognising mental health, as well as offering a helpline (HOPELINE UK) which is open from 9am to midnight every day. 

For more information on PAPYRUS click here.

Mind 

Mind is a mental health charity which provides advice and support to anyone suffering from mental health. They campaign to raise awareness for mental health as well as to remove the stigma surrounding the conversation around mental health. They also provide a number of education resources on different mental health conditions to support you and your friends and family. 

For more information on Mind click here.

Liverpool Guild of Students 

Our Student Officers Ffion and Imogen have been working hard on transforming the Guild website into a one stop hub for all things related to mental health. The website provides information on UoL services, as well as local services and charities in Liverpool. 

Check out the Guild of Students Mental Health Support page here.

The Real Depression Project 

The Real Depression Project is an Instagram account which provides resources on de-stigmatizing mental health as well as how to communicate with friends and family on your mental health. 

Click here to check out The Real Depression Project. 

Interested In More? 

Interested in more information on mental health? Check out our exclusive interview with Mental Health Campaigner Ben West here!

Feature Image Credit; Author’s Own/ Liverpool Guild Student Media