On Campus

22nd April 2021

Getting To Know Your Candidates!

So you’ve heard their names, where they’re  from and their policies- but do you REALLY know our candidates? 

In this exclusive interview with our candidates we find out the all-important information including their Netflix picks, ideal meal deal combos and their favourite on-campus spots!

DISCLAIMER: Liverpool Guild Student Media has taken all appropriate measures to contact ALL candidates with regards to an interview and to provide them with a right to reply. 

Mitchell Burns-Jackson 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

Currently I’m bingeing about 3 series at the same time because I can’t make my mind up. Wholly fixed on The Crown at the moment though. 

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

I haven’t actually been on so can only really say The Guild or the Library. Not great but is what it is.

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

Chicken, bacon and stuffing with Pringles and Diet Coke.

What’s the first place you’re going to once lockdown has been completely eased?

Deffo Pop World. I need to hear Chaka Khan burst my eardrums again. 

What’s your favourite song? 

At the moment it’s The chain by Fleetwood Mac. Just loving the throwbacks

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

Ambitious, achievable and deserving.

Greg Davies 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

It is an unusual choice but Come Dine With Me is all I seem to watch on Netflix recently. 

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

The benches in the quad behind the Red Brick Building

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

The Greggs student meal deal is top tier. I get the Ploughman’s sandwich, apple juice and a chocolate muffin. 

The Raz

What’s your favourite song? 

We Can Work It Out by The Beatles 

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

Going to happen.

Imogen de Castro Gray 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

Nothing, I’ve officially watched everything, just waiting for the newest season of The Handmaid’s Tale

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

The Guild Garden or Abercromby Square

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

By the time I get to the meal deal section all the good veggie options are gone so Lucozade orange sport and air

Japan

What’s your favourite song? 

Makeba by Jain

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

My manifesto includes policies and promises to combat hidden course costs, tackle sexual assault and harassment, improve equality, diversity and inclusivity at the university, rebrand mental health and support students throughout COVID. Every student deserves an accessible, affordable, inclusive and supportive education, and that is exactly what my manifesto calls for. 

Chloe Field 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

I’m currently binging Parks and Rec as I always am and I am also obsessed with Line of Duty right now. 

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

My favourite spot on campus is probably Abercromby Square when it’s a sunny day because it’s so pretty. 

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

Chicken salad sandwich, cheesy Doritos and Diet Coke

I can’t wait to get back to Woody’s and do karaoke again haha! 

What’s your favourite song? 

Dancing Queen by ABBA – it’s a classic

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

It’s all about standing up for student issues which tend to just be an accepted part of Uni life and I want to change that. I want to continue tackling sexual assault by ensuring perpetrators face consequences and also continue drug harm reduction work. Additionally, I want to nationally campaign against tuition fees as there should never be a pay wall to education and along the same lines, I want to reduce the cost of rent students have to pay. 

Maria Harper 

What are you bingeing at the moment?

Well I’ve just finished the whole of Brooklyn 99 since season 7 was released and I’ve recently re-watched most of American Horror Story (Roanoke is my favourite!) but I’ve got so many I need to watch, just not enough hours in the day! 

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

From my limited visits to the campus thanks to COVID, I’d say my favourite place is that little park opposite Sydney Jones Library (I don’t actually know what it’s called which just shows my unfamiliarity with Liverpool)- it’s so nice and chilled, especially in the recent weather!

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

If we’re talking a Tesco meal deal, for a sandwich (or cob if you’re from the Birmingham area like me), I’d get tuna and cucumber or egg and cress, if they had cheese and marmite that would be the IDEAL… you either love it or hate it, am I right?? For a drink it would have to be Dr Pepper and for the snack some Chili Heatwave Doritos. I’d get some Reese’s too depending on how tight money is that month!

To see all of my family, as lockdown was really difficult with being limited on travel and living quite far from them. BUT, I also need a good massage as I feel like I’ve developed the back of a 94 year old over lockdown!

What’s your favourite song? 

Can’t Stop by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which are my favourite band!

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

• My manifesto is ambitious (with promises that I WILL keep) but I believe it includes something that everyone can benefit from. 
  • The main points I aim to address are Mental Health & Wellbeing, Careers & Employability, Women’s Leadership & Equality, Life Skills and Creating New Opportunities.
  • I feel extremely passionate about each of these points because of my own experiences and seeing just how much each one can affect other students. 

Jamilia Kwajah-Ellimah 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

I am currently revisiting my obsession with American Horror Story. So far I’m on the best season – Coven!

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

It would have to be The Sphinx, I have many good memories of being with my friends but also the burgers are elite!

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

It has to be a sweet chilli chicken wrap, Snickers or Wotsits (depending on my mood) and a mango smoothie as it is the most expensive drink on offer.

The clubs, obviously.

What’s your favourite song? 

It would have to be Fly by Nicki Minaj and Rihanna.

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

I am invested in championing and representing the powerful, dynamic and unique voice of our student body. That is why I am prioritising what matters most to students – the access to mental health support services, physical activity, encouraging diversity and tolerance and prioritising sustainability on our campus.

Savannah Moss

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

The Office – getting through it at an alarmingly fast rate! Also watching a lot of Still Game because it’s just a show I never get bored of.

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

I love Abercromby Square as most of my classes were very near it (before Zoom Uni) so I’ve walked through it nearly every day during my time in Liverpool and it always looks so beautiful in the sun – great place to sit for a Tesco Meal Deal break!

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

BBQ chicken pasta pot (too scared of getting soggy bread if I get a sandwich), salt and vinegar McCoys and a diet coke. Basic or a classic..?

I want to say a good gig but the truth is, it’ll probably be Heebie Jeebies or Ca Va for tequila.

What’s your favourite song? 

Your Girlfriend by Blossoms or California Gurls by Katy Perry which is quite rogue.

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

Getting students more!

Vasiliki Samuels 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

Friends

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

Abercromby Square

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

Fajitas, with mango and orange passion fruit juice and cookie dough and chocolate fudge brownie ice cream for dessert. 

On holiday to Greece 

What’s your favourite song? 

I Want You Back by The Jackson 5 

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

My manifesto is very reflective of what students want changed at the University.  It mainly focuses on communication, mental health and community. I believe these to be core issues that need to be focused on by the University.

Ruby Taj 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

I’m trying to binge watch Money Heist!

What’s your favourite song? 

I really can’t choose but usually when I like a song it’s on repeat until I am sick of listening to it

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

It’s realistic, achievable will definitely make the campus more inclusive and diverse. Check my manifesto out

Josie Sawtell-Cousins

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

Over the Easter holidays I started watching Lost with my family and I LOVE IT!  I have now started watching it in Liverpool and I think I should pre apologize to my housemates for the many more seasons I am going to watch.

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

I really love Abercromby Square! I usually stop there on my to the library and wish I could stay all day but work calls ! 

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

I love deals so always try and go for the most expensive items which are a Naked smoothie, sushi and a rocky road bar. so good and such a good deal

Berlin!

What’s your favourite song? 

Right now I really love this song called ‘Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen’ by Baz Lurhmman. It’s a graduation speech (kind of) set to electronic music and it’s AMAZING! If politics reflected this song then this country would be in a much better state. 

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

Community, compassion, change!

Ffion Thomas 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

I love History, so recently I’ve been getting into Peaky Blinders!

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

Abercromby Square, as it’s a perfect spot to have a break surrounded by nature.

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

A duck and hoisin wrap, lemonade and Dairy Milk chocolate.

I’m off to Mid-Wales, I can’t wait to hug my grandparents!

What’s your favourite song? 

It’s constantly changing but currently 4EVER by Clairo.

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

My Manifesto is based on a year of knowledge of experience and what will make genuine changes to students’ lives. I’m focusing on improving mental health support; returning to normal student life, ensuring in-person Graduations and finishing reforming module selection. If re-elected I will continue to work hard to advocate for students and ensure your voice is heard.

Bertie Woodcock 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

The Serpent

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

My favourite spot on campus is the Guild Beer Garden

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

Now this is the question but an easy one; ham no mayo, ready salted crisps and to spice it up a Smart water

The Raz and then probably Lago when the queue is too long

What’s your favourite song? 

Cherry Blue by The Letrasets

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

Vote for more nights out and events than ever before. Vote for an end to dodgy landlords. vote for better student support!

Ella Hatch 

What are you bingeing at the moment? 

The Crown and Small Axe

What’s your favourite spot on campus? 

It’s got to be Abercromby Square, doesn’t it? Especially in the sun!

Name your ideal Meal Deal combination?

Falafel wrap, Skips and a smoothie (not fussy about what flavour)

I can’t wait to go out with my mates again, to events, gigs, house parties, even to a pub without the need to queue or pre-book!

What’s your favourite song? 

I changes all the time, but currently… ‘Cuckoo Through the Walls’ or ‘Are You With Me Now?’ both by Cate le Bon

Describe your manifesto in 3 sentences

I want to work to make the University a safer and more inclusive space for all through increasing access to mental health services, improving the extenuating circumstances system, making the equality and diversity module compulsory, as well as working to improve the process for reporting sexual harassment and the support given to the survivors.  I want to improve the Universities sustainability goals and make them more transparent alongside lobbing the University to give us financial compensation for the past year of disrupted teaching.

Student Officer Elections 2021 

Did you know that Liverpool Guild Student Media is the Official Media Partner of the 2021 Student Officer Elections? 

Check out our “On Campus” tab for all things Student Officer Elections including our “Meet The Candidates” Interview, and follow our Instagram for all the updates!

Ever Wondered What It’s Like Once You’re Elected? 

Check out our article with current Guild President Adnan here! Learn about the day-to-day of the role, how to run a successful campaign and what it means to be part of the Student Officer Team!

Article Image Credits; Liverpool Guild Of Students

Feature Image Credit; Liverpool Guild Of Students