Arts & Culture, Opinion

29th April 2020

My Top 5 TV shows to watch during lockdown

Opinion pieces are the view of the author and in no way reflects the view of the Liverpool Guild Student Media or Liverpool Guild of Students.

Currently, the whole of the UK is on lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. During these scary and stressful times, I have been seeking entertainment as escapism from the reality we are currently facing. One opportunity that this lockdown has provided is to catch up on the amazing TV shows that have been released this year. Some of these shows have recently been released, some are quite old (like Christmas time old). Regardless, here are my Top 5 currently watched TV series that I recommend to all of you.

Noughts + Crosses

First up is this incredible TV series available on BBC iPlayer. Noughts + Crosses is based on Malorie Blackman’s 2001 novel of the same name. The series is about an alternate history drama where black people (the Crosses) colonised Britain and rule over the white people (the Noughts). Callum, played by Jack Rowan, is a Nought who falls in love with Sephy, played by Masali Baduza, in a world corrupted by prejudice and brutality. The series witnesses Callum and Sephy trying to beat the odds of a society that is on the verge of collapse as a powerful rebellion builds on the streets. This show is incredibly impactful. It raises issues such as racism and police brutality, which is particularly moving since the establishment of the Black Lives Matter movement, and how love is trying to conquer it all.

All 6 episodes are available here for free on BBC iPlayer.

Killing Eve

Next, is the explosive third season of Killing Eve, which sees the return of dynamic duo Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer. For those who don’t know, the series follows Eve, a British intelligence investigator who is tasked with capturing psychopathic assassin Villanelle. The mission quickly turns into an obsession. Season three picks up after the shocking climax of the previous season – what happened after that gunshot? We need answers.

Catch Killing Eve every Sunday on BBC at 9 pm, and on BBC iPlayer here.

Friends

Now, this is definitely not a new TV show. You either love it or you hate it. However, I’ve found Friends has been my go-to series to throw on when you’re feeling stressed, anxious, tired, down. It is the perfect pick-me-up distraction during this pandemic. Episodes are 20 minutes of laughter and cheesy storylines, and I’ve found myself relating to Joey and his snacking more and more as the days go on.

All 10 seasons are available on Netflix.

Dracula

The creative team behind the BBC’s Sherlock return for this inventive 3-part series based on Bram Stoker’s classic novel, Dracula. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have taken the source material and adapted it into a fresh, more visually creepier take on the original vampire. Claes Bang portrays a charmingly eerie Dracula, surprisingly drawing out the Count’s vulnerability. This adaptation makes some interesting changes from the novel – firstly, we get to see just how gory Dracula’s crimes are. Also, the twist in making Van Helsing a woman (played by Dolly Wells) leads to much more impressive encounters between the Count and his nemesis.

All 3 episodes are available here on BBC iPlayer.

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

Keep your judgement at bay people. This show is a cringe-fest but my gosh it is so addictive. After all the promotion and hype surrounding the Disney+ original series, I thought I would check it out. Episode one was alright but full of awkward teenagers trying to act and be funny in a weird documentary-style way of filming. After the first episode, I decided this was not for me. But weeks after that first episode, I needed to know if Ricky (Joshua Bassett) was ever going to get rid of E. J (Matt Cornett) and be with the love of his life Nina (Olivia Rodrigo). Can you see how I got hooked? Honestly, this series was enjoyable and easy-going with your typical teenage drama and some awesome songs. What team? I think you know the answer.

New episodes are available every Friday on Disney+ UK.

Feature Image Credit: Chester from Toronto, Canada, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons