On Campus

20th March 2023

Candidate Profiles: Interviews with the Student Officer Hopefuls

Between the 20th and the 24th of March, voting is open for you to select the next Student Officers at the Liverpool Guild of Students. 13 candidates are running this year, to take over 4 positions representing the interests of all of the students at the University of Liverpool. The role includes making decisions to improve the student experience, working closely with the University and organising events through the Guild.

To help you decide who to vote for, I have interviewed the candidates, asking them about their campaigns, what they will do for the community, who inspires them and most importantly, why they deserve your vote! We got some great answers, so read on to find out who is running (or running again!), who has a Taekwon-Do black belt, who will grab a Carling from the Guild the moment they win, and who compares themselves to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi!

Aneeq Ali

1 – What sets you apart from the other candidates running?

I live a very disciplined life, managing to work, study, exercise, eat well, socialise and maintain good relationships with my people. I excel under pressure and hope to demonstrate this during my time as the guild president. I am not afraid to challenge those ideas which conflict with my own, whether it be regarding my own ideas or values, I will always put up an argument for why my choices may be of greater benefit to the issue at hand. Being a Muslim, I am taught strong practices of self-discipline but also community values and how to better my surrounding individuals. This is something I wish to push for during my time in office and establish an effective self & peer help scheme.

2 – What are your top 3 manifesto points that will improve the lives of all students at the University of Liverpool?

• Abolishing “Decolonise the University. This idea implies that the university is both colonised and pushes one oppressive narrative. I encourage and appreciate the fact that the curriculum of the university, along with the extra-curricular events offered, demonstrate that we are far from a colonised institution. From this, we can deduce that “decolonising the university” is a meaningless, virtue-signalling statement and is no longer relevant.
  • Subsidising gym access. Not only are there obvious physical improvements that arise from accessing gyms and eating healthy, but there are also direct mental implications such as a boost in stress management, self-satisfaction and an increased attention span, all of which, are perfect for young people pursuing their respective degrees. Taking advantage of healthy schemes will have a direct impact on student satisfaction and working with the Sports Liverpool team will ensure that the Guild are able to subsidise access in this manner.
  • Improving the careers team and HEAR-accredited schemes. It’s easy to assume that a large majority of students have the aim of pursuing a career after their studies but lack the preparation, connections and experience. HEAR-accredited schemes are perfect for this and communicating this with all of the departments would be vital in order to help our fellow students excel. Giving them the relevant experience as early as possible will enable them to focus on achieving the highest grades possible as assessment periods approach.

3 – How do you represent the values of Liverpool as a city and a university?

Both the Liverpool City Council and the University of Liverpool have similar values including being a supportive, empowering and moral singular team. The way I represent these values is through my leadership and ability to forward my own views which are productive and effective. The focus on helping students better themselves by giving them things such as incentivised gym access would boost independence and, in turn, improve their mental health. As a result, my methodological approach to solving various issues within the university would reflect both my personal values, as well as Liverpool’s.

4 – Outline the ways you have already contributed to the University of Liverpool:

I am currently a course representative, bringing forward feedback from my law cohort to the law and social justice department. This enables positive change to materialise and directly helps the students studying law.

Along with the course representative role, I am a faculty representative for humanities and social sciences, bringing the student voice up to the higher decision-making bodies. This includes periodic meetings with heads of faculties, bringing new ideas forward as well as constantly challenging proposals which may prove ineffective in practice. This role has benefitted many students as the decision-making has made use of the many contributions I have made.

5 – Why are you standing to be an officer?

From the actions of the current student officers, I noticed that there was a lack of focus on some of the main issues faced by students and even staff on our campus. For example, student safety is a huge priority of the guild, however, when the officers have been actively pushing principles like reducing the cost of alcohol on campus, this seems counter-productive, given that alcohol has direct effects on causing impulsive behaviours. Following this, the failure from them to acquire a self-defence coach for the students to utilise demonstrates a clear inability to manage finances. The fact that alcohol itself is an inelastic and demerit good in society would allow for prices to stay the same and demand still surges during peak hours. Funding options for martial arts coaches were always available, and I believe that this would strongly empower the students, however, there was less focus on this aspect of student safety.

I believe that I have the requirements to provide the students with what is most beneficial to them and their life at university by bringing real issues back onto the table for actual discussion on how we can resolve them.

6 – Hypothetically, if everybody at the university came in speaking a different language, how would you ensure that classes would continue?

Firstly, establishing which subject areas would require the most adaptation to their programmes. Subjects such as maths and computer science may remain relatively unaffected however, subjects which make use of major linguistic interpretations, such as law and English, would need more focus on adapting the curriculum. After categorising which subjects would require the most change, I would ensure that students are put into smaller focus group-like settings whereby they are taught their subject area catered to “similar” languages shared in the groups. For example, putting students who know languages similar to each other, like Spanish and Portuguese, would allow for their group to thrive together, as opposed to suffering in silence.

7 – What will you do on your first day of being a student officer?

Establish a good relationship with my other student officers as I would be surrounded by them consistently and we would be the face of the guild to the students. Ensuring that we were all on the same wavelength would be vital for me as we would have the combined goal of bettering the University of Liverpool and student life. Having a like-minded group of people around me would mean that we are all able to excel and purport the viewpoint of a strong, unified guild to the students and public.

8 – Which world leader are you most similar to?

Muammar Gaddafi – While this may seem like a highly controversial answer, I have reasoning for this decision. The story of Gaddafi’s death is from the American invasion of Libya and their decision to push NATO-led ruling over their sovereign state. Under international law, this is not legal and Gaddafi was always in favour of encouraging his values among his people, with less involvement of forcing ideas onto other sovereign states. While his ideas were not compatible with the Western standpoint on life, he continued to advocate for them and ended up being invaded.

Similarly to me, I believe that in order to change the university and the problems that students may face, some major changes are needed to be made. The encouragement of healthy and nutritious foods should be adhered to while demerit foods, such as alcohol, should be discouraged where possible. Physical health is a virtue and this should be a commonly accepted idea that students should strive to excel within.

9 – It’s Women’s History Month, who is a woman you admire?

Mikhaila Peterson – She made heavy criticisms about a boundary to freedom of speech imposed by a “developed” country. This was the threat from the College of Psychologists in Canada to remove the ability to practice in the field of work and she opposed this view.

Aniket Anil Shelar

Since I recently arrived in this city and began my course on January 23, I am not in a position to compare myself to the other candidates running for election alongside me. Yet coming from a country with a large population, India, I understand exactly how it feels to be lost and in need of direction. Having had some prior experiences, I am confident in my ability to create improvements that will benefit everyone.

I would like to support equality, health, and innovation. The top three manifesto points that I use to support my opinions are:

• Create a symposium to express business ideas: This will foster creativity, improve leadership qualities, foster the ability to solve problems and impart some fundamental life skills.
  • Create programmes to focus on mental and physical health: A healthy lifestyle not only improves an individual physically but also mentally. Improved concentration, more focus, and improved learning make us feel confident. This would immensely help students excel in their careers.
  • Support scheme for small/new societies, equally prioritising all societies: This would encourage equality across the University by giving equal chances and platforms to all the clubs. Prioritising them will help all the unrecognised amazing clubs enrich students’ lives.

Every day I learn more about Liverpool City and the University, as well as the Heritage and Culture there. where I’m getting to know new people from other nations and religions. The best experience I’ve ever had has taught me countless lessons. In the future, while representing these experiences and ideals, I’d like to put them all together and express them all at once. Being here feels honourable to me.
In essence, I want to share everything I know with others and make it feasible for them to apply it to better themselves.
For the better, I’d like to concentrate on organizing more career fairs and as many part-time work opportunities as I can.

Believe and Hope.

I have witnessed a few societies and how they collaborate as a team. I attended a few events sponsored by the Hindu Society, enjoyed some delectable homemade Turkish food, and gathered friends to donate to the Turkey earthquake relief fund.

Participated actively in employment fairs and university fairs where various societies presented their groups and ideas.

What a wonderful introduction to the university!

I have been extremely active by participating in many social gatherings and societies. I plan to start planting more trees around the University campus and to do the most of what I can.

I decided to run for election because I was passionate about the impact that student activities (such as sports clubs and societies) can have on a student’s experience and I wanted to promote this as much as possible. 

Also, taking into consideration the challenges new students have at the beginning of their semester or course inspired me to minimize the problems they encounter.

• Encouraging collaborative work.
  • Maintain consistent communication and give students flexibility and freedom to approach for any help.
  • Positively value diversity: It’s about accepting students as they are and where they’re from.
  • Arrange Language classes, students can join it as a hobby or for better learning.
  • Provide equal opportunities to people from different backgrounds so that students feel more confident to raise any problem.
  • Provide an environment where strong and positive relationships can be developed between people from different backgrounds

I would first go to the closest temple to receive further blessings after yours. Then I start doing the actual work, meeting the entire team, and learning exactly how things are falling behind schedule. Share ideas with the entire team, and then I’ll start working on them in addition to all my pending assignments.

One outstanding demonstration of a world leader who overcame enemies by peaceful protests to achieve equality and total freedom and therefore determined his own fate is Mahatma Gandhi.

Gandhi would impart to us a wealth of knowledge about leadership, life, and other topics. People’s Empowerment, Credibility, Social Development, and Being the Change We Want to See are some of the things I found valuable in my life. To make the world a better place to live in, I try to use these skills as much as I can.

The superwoman I look up to most is my mother. A mother is someone who can replace everyone else, but nobody can replace her. Like the recognisable heroes we see on the big screen, heroes come in all different sizes and shapes. Nevertheless, I believe that my mother is the greatest superhero because she is the one that is closest to me. She gave me some extremely valuable life lessons. My mother has always been my pillar of strength—through good times and bad.

Rowan Bradbury

I’d say the things that set me aside from every other candidate are my bad fashion sense, receding hairline and dodgy accent. Fortunately, I can hide all of this behind my Irish charm and my black belt in Taekwon-Do. Having been a student-staff member for two years now I know how the guild is run from the commercial side, I feel like I can help develop these areas at the guild further to increase the experience we all wanted. Alongside this studying Architecture has helped me develop my problem-solving skills and creative thinking towards issues others may not see, qualities I would take on board if elected.

The three policies I’m working behind are Party-Gym-Enjoy. 

• Party: safer student nightlife scheme to ensure people can get home safe from nightclubs and pubs which can be achieved by introducing a voluntary walk-home system, or by having a fund set aside for a safe taxi scheme.
  • Gym: to reduce the current gym fees as some universities are only charging £25 for the entire year!! I cannot see why this is something our university cannot offer too. 
  • Enjoy: to introduce a Guild Reward Scheme, where you gain points for the money you spend. This has been long overdue and could even be as simple as a stamp card to start off.

The first thing I did in Liverpool was walk into someone and they apologised to me. I then realised how nice and caring everyone was here in Liverpool, and I have tried my best to replicate the hospitality I felt that first day ever since. I always have a smile on my face and am a fond believer in treating others the way you want to be treated, if someone needs help I will always try my best to help.

In my second year of studies I was a course representative for Architecture. and whilst working with the other reps we performed multiple surveys to attempt to get our lectures in person and our exams back online… both of which were performed successfully. Currently, I’m the president of the Taekwon-Do team and have helped our club organise socials, allocate funds and make new members feel welcomed and supported. 

I’m standing to be an officer as I want to be a voice for the students of this university, I want to contribute to making the lives of our students less stressful and improve the student experience. I’m a determined individual who commits to something when my mind is set on it, so I can guarantee that your suggestions will be heard and acted upon to the best of my ability.

I feel the most achievable and realistic approach to this scenario is to ensure that all lectures are recorded and feature pre-typed captions. These captions could then be translated into everyone’s native language which ensures that everyone is learning the same material.

If elected, I’d congratulate the other candidates who got elected, as well as those who weren’t for even putting themselves out there to try and make a difference… then I’m heading to the Sphinx to celebrate with an “Extra Cold” Guinness. My main priority come August/September would be to ensure that I have gotten the ball rolling on my campaign policies, then I can have time to keep working on these across the first semester whilst also taking in feedback from students and acting on their suggestions also.

A leader that reminds me of myself is probably Michael D. Higgins who is the current Irish President. He always seems to make time for everyone, listens to every suggestion made by people and is firm but fair. He is a great representative of my country and has implemented new policies with a special interest in education and culture. He even came to visit my small local community where he physically stopped his car to come and chat with me because I had just missed seeing him. 

The woman I most admire and inspire to be is definitely my mum. For starters, she managed to raise me and my siblings on her own whilst working full-time for over 18 years. During the Covid pandemic, she went back to university to gain her Masters to prove that nothing is impossible. Just last week she opened her biggest solo art exhibition in our county’s marketplace theatre, I really couldn’t be more proud.

Lina Dubbins

I am the current vice president of the Guild so I have quite a lot of experience within the role and have achieved several things such as; free period products across campus, increasing representation through our More Than A Month campaign and campaigning for an increase in the Hardship Fund, which consequently tripled.   

I would say the thing that differentiates me from the other candidates is my enthusiasm for decolonisation. During my English Literature degree, I fostered this by researching postcolonial theory and eventually modelling my dissertation around this. I’m dedicated to increasing representation and creating an inclusive campus to push back against colonial legacies and to hold people to account.  

I’ve also been working in the hospitality industry since I was 16 so I would say I’m very flexible, good with communication and really hard-working – I definitely know how to be a team player!  

• Expanding and diversifying the mental health and wellbeing services : Support programmes for students in recovery, SHORTER waiting time, More POC representation, increased funding.
  • Continue campaigning for the return of the night bus and make the 699 cheaper for students: Bring the 86A night route back so students can get home safely at night and for cheaper, make the 699 more affordable for students.
  • Decolonise the curriculum and advocate for an inclusive campus : More Than A Month celebrations throughout the year, tackling hate crime and increasing awareness of Report + Support, actively growing POC representation across the university, supporting the Race Equality Action Plan and creating quiet spaces.  

I am a big believer in collective action and creating community relationships. I see Liverpool as a city that embodies this. Scousers are always ready to support one another and help others and they come together when fighting for their rights. I find that Liverpool has a really strong sense of togetherness and the various communities here are incredibly active and welcoming; I really value empathy and I think Liverpool reflects this.  

I have contributed to the University of Liverpool academically by achieving a First Class Degree in English Literature. I was also an active member of the Decolonise UoL society.

I’m standing to be an officer because I am determined to prioritise the student’s voice. This year has been incredibly difficult for everyone and we’re simply not seeing enough support for students. With the current Cost of Living crisis, other serious issues such as racial inequality and other forms of discrimination are not being prioritised. I’m keen to bring these issues back to the forefront especially when we have seen how the CoL has hit different groups far harder. As a current officer, I am working on several projects that I would like to see through to the end and therefore need another year, e.g. Free condoms and pregnancy tests across campus, the night bus, diversifying well-being services, support programme for students in recovery and expanding our More Than A Month celebration.

The first step would be to work out if anyone at all spoke the same language so we can form some small connections. Then I would put out a call to people in Liverpool who are bilingual and hire them to come and help with translating in small social events/societies. For lectures and seminars, I would get the uni to hire professional translators in ALL languages so that no student misses out on their education because of a language barrier. I would also set up events for students to teach each other bits of their languages and help students in putting on events which celebrate and showcase their culture. I would also look into hiring tutors that could put on free language lessons.

If re-elected as a student officer I will definitely be enjoying a pint, it might be a crappy Carling, but it’ll do the job. I’d also an impulse buy a weekend ticket to either Wireless or Parklife because I need to celebrate in style with some sick music. On my first day as an officer, I’d get stuck into drafting a plan for the year so that I can organise my time adequately and focus on each of my goals fully.

I’d probably say my Dad. He’s not a world leader but he is a trade union officer and head of Unite the Union’s international department. My dad is one of the most generous people I know and never hesitates to help people or to listen when someone needs advice (or just a friendly face). He is passionate and never backs down from a difficult situation; he is hardworking and fights till the end. He is also very fair and respectful. I like to think and hope that I have inherited at least a few of my dad’s traits and am half as good a person as he is.

I would have to say either Audre Lorde or Maya Angelou. Lorde because she’s incredible with words and capturing emotions. Her essays are incredible political pieces that have encouraged me to keep learning and to analyse things from different perspectives. And Angelou because she lived a crazy whirlwind life, met so many people and touched so many hearts. She was a brilliant writer, incredibly hard-working and always spoke her opinions out a lot – I truly admire her capabilities and strength.

Jess Hilton

I am a strong, independent northern woman who is dedicated to improving the lives of students in Liverpool. I have a lot of experience in fighting for what I believe in. As a Labour Party member, I have travelled the country fighting for change and campaigning for a better future. I also have vast experience in volunteering for asylum seeker and refugee-supporting charities in both my hometown of Hartlepool and Liverpool. I believe that this volunteering has made me more compassionate and sensitive as it has opened up my eyes to the difficulties people in our society unfairly face. I believe that I have the confidence to stand up for students, but I am also friendly and approachable which is important for students to be able to approach me. 

• Cost of Living Crisis Support: Current Students face unprecedented challenges due to the still visible effects of Covid-19 and the current cost of living crisis. Student loans and grants do not come close to covering the cost of going to university, and the government and the University of Liverpool do not do enough to combat this. I will push for more emergency payments to students, tackle exploitative landlords and campaign for cheaper transport, rent reductions and tuition fee reductions. 
  • Mental Health Support: An unwanted effect of the pandemic and cost of living crisis is increased mental health problems. Not enough is done to ensure that students are protected. This came to my attention when I moved three hours from home to university during a pandemic and was given barely any support. I will ensure that there are more protections for all students, particularly first years. I will provide more training to staff so they understand the pressures and the signs that students may be struggling. For example, if attendance is slipping ask why and not jump to conclusions. Furthermore, I will ensure that the extenuating circumstances procedure is fit for purpose. Finally, I will put fun activities in place during the most stressful periods.
  • Volunteering Opportunities: During my university placement last semester with a charity, it struck me that we could do more to provide volunteering as a university. I would work with local charities and organisations to create more partnerships to improve the current volunteering schemes that the university has. The asylum seeker charity I did a placement with was desperate for volunteers and I know that many students would have volunteered if they were aware. This volunteering scheme would help students give something back to the community while also gaining vital employability skills and great experiences. 

I am a dedicated Labour party activist who is committed to pushing for social change. I believe in fairness, equality, and diversity. As a socialist city, my values fit perfectly in Liverpool. Furthermore, I am dedicated to standing up for the rights of all students, dedicated to sustainability and dedicated to making sure the student experience is as good as it possibly can be. Therefore, I believe that I strongly represent the values of Liverpool as a city and as a university. 

During my time at the University of Liverpool, I have a been a member of several societies including the Labour Society, the Taylor Swift Society and SSPC Society. As a member of these societies I have been involved in campaigns and demonstrations. For example, last year I attended a protest against anti-abortion protesters who targeted our university. We outnumbered the anti-abortion protesters massively and showed to students that the University of Liverpool is a safe space for women. I have also supported and shown solidarity to striking staff. This month, I am also attending NUS conference as a delegate for the University of Liverpool to ensure that Liverpool is represented and to vote on policies that will transform the lives of students. As mentioned, I am a Labour Party member, and I have done several activities in Liverpool regarding this. I have campaigned with local Councillors, MPs and attended Liverpool’s Women Forum to discuss how the lives of girls and women can be improved in Liverpool.

I am standing to be an officer due to me having the skills which would make me great for the job. I am friendly, approachable and passionate about improving the lives of students. As a current third year student, my full university experience has been tainted by Covid-19, and this has fueled a desire to campaign for a better future for students. During the pandemic, students were failed every step of the way, whether this was a result of larger scale government failings or failings as a result of the University of Liverpool, therefore I want to campaign students are protected. I am extremely passionate about this, and this has made me want to stand to be a student officer. 

For a class with multiple languages, I would put various measures into place. These measures would include visual methods of teaching and learning, with visual class exercises to make sure everybody was catered for, as well as having tools for translating. I would ensure class was accessible for all language speakers, by creating a welcoming atmosphere. This welcome atmosphere is paramount for making sure students are engaged in class and to ensure that every student is valued and welcomed as important members within the university.

Firstly, I would celebrate by most likely going out with my friends to some Taylor Swift theme social or to play records in the Jac. Then, on my first day as student officer, I will contact the student body to tell them about myself, remind them of my manifesto and invite them to a meeting so I can answer any questions and understand any queries. This will ensure that I am engaged with students from day dot, and to ensure that I am accountable. I want students to be aware of their student officers, so this engagement would happen from day one, as after all we are elected by students for students. 

The world leader I am most similar to is Jacinda Ardern. I share many of the same values as Ardern and have a similar passion. I really admire her drive and passion as a female politician in a largely dominated political field. Ardern inspired me to get into politics and to be more confident in the male dominated spaces. 

A woman I admire is Taylor Swift, and this is not just due to her great music. I admire her as woman who has had so many barriers’ places in her way during her career. Taylor Swift is a great role model to women and girls due to her inspirational, empowering lyrics and the way she uses her platform to promote a better world. Taylor Swift has been the subject of much misogyny from the public and the media for over a decade now, but this has not stopped her from wanting to be a role model to women and girls, by being a strong example of how to thrive under pressure. 

Izmar Khan

I believe what sets me apart from the other candidates is my unique background and perspective. Growing up in a modest neighbourhood in London and being in foster care has instilled in me the value of resilience and determination. These experiences have also given me a deep understanding of the challenges that many students face in their academic and personal lives.

Additionally, I am committed to using my academic and professional experience to advocate for policies that promote student welfare and success. I believe that my academic background in classical studies and my future studies in politics will allow me to approach issues from a unique perspective, combining theoretical knowledge with practical experience.

• Improving communication and transparency between students and university staff: One of my top priorities as student president will be to address concerns and issues that students face in their interactions with tutors, administrators, and lecturers. I believe that it is essential to establish a culture of open communication and transparency, where students can voice their concerns and receive prompt and effective responses.
  • Increasing mental health support and resources: Mental health is a critical issue that affects many students at the University. As student president, I will work to increase mental health support and resources on campus, including expanding counselling services and providing additional funding for mental health initiatives. I will also advocate for increased awareness and education about mental health issues, including the importance of self-care and seeking help when needed.
  • Advocating for Staff and Student Rights: I believe that advocating for staff and student rights is critical to improving the lives of all members of our community. My top priorities for achieving this goal are ensuring fair treatment and compensation for university staff, defending student rights and interests, and supporting student-led initiatives that provide practical support and resources for students who are struggling with housing insecurity, such as student-led housing co-ops or rent-strike campaigns. 

I am committed to working tirelessly towards achieving these goals and creating a welcoming, inclusive, and equitable university community for all.

Secondly, I have been actively involved in the Liverpool music scene, which is an integral part of the city’s cultural heritage. Through this involvement, I have gained a deeper appreciation for the collaborative and creative spirit that defines Liverpool. I believe that this spirit is essential to building a strong and cohesive university community, and I will work to foster it through initiatives that promote artistic expression, community engagement, and cultural exchange.

As a student at the University of Liverpool, I have already contributed in several ways to the university community. Firstly, I worked as a student administrator during my time at the university, helping first-year students move into their accommodation and providing them with essential support and guidance. This experience allowed me to develop important interpersonal and organisational skills and helped me to understand the challenges faced by many first-year students.

Additionally, I have been an active participant in the Shoegaze society, attending all of their events. Through this involvement, I have gained a deeper appreciation for the importance of community building and the power of shared interests and passions.

I am standing to be an officer because I am passionate about making a positive impact on the lives of my fellow students. As someone who has faced significant challenges and obstacles in my own life, I understand the importance of having a strong support system and a community that is committed to inclusivity, diversity, and equity.

For me, being an officer means being a voice for all students, regardless of their background or circumstances. It means working tirelessly to advocate for their needs and to create an environment in which they can thrive academically, socially, and personally.

I believe that I can help others by using my own experiences to inform and guide my decisions as an officer. Whether it is advocating for mental health resources, addressing issues of discrimination and harassment, or promoting student-led initiatives that support housing and food insecurity, I am committed to working collaboratively with my fellow officers and the university administration to create real, tangible change.

I would first seek to understand the scope of the challenge and the specific languages being spoken. I would work closely with the university administration, language departments, and student organisations to identify strategies for promoting effective communication and ensuring that classes could continue.

One approach could be to provide translation services, either through trained staff or through technology. Another approach could be to offer language courses or language exchange programs, where students can learn and practice new languages in a supportive and inclusive environment.

In terms of promoting cohesion, inclusivity, equality, and diversity, I believe that it starts with recognising and celebrating the unique strengths and perspectives that each individual brings to the table. I would work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all students, regardless of their background or circumstances.

This could include initiatives such as hosting cultural events, promoting student-led organisations that focus on diversity and inclusion, and providing resources and support for students who may be experiencing discrimination or marginalisation.

My own experience of coming to the UK at a young age without speaking English has taught me the value of patience, perseverance, and the importance of having a supportive community around me. I believe that these skills and experiences would be valuable in helping to promote cohesion, inclusivity, equality, and diversity at the university.

A top priority for me as a student officer would be to address the issue of student housing, particularly for those going into their fourth year at the Wirral and are struggling to find suitable accommodations. This could involve working with the university and local housing providers to identify affordable options for students and providing resources and support for those in need. By addressing this issue, I hope to alleviate some of the stress and financial burden that students may experience when trying to find housing and ensure that all students have access to safe and comfortable living arrangements.

To celebrate, I would make a quick call to my family to share the good news and thank them for their unwavering support. Their encouragement has been instrumental in my decision to pursue this position and I want to show my appreciation for their belief in me. Then I will probably go out for a drink with my friends at the Grapes. 

I admire the leadership qualities of Jeremy Corbyn. Corbyn’s commitment to promoting social justice and equality, as well as his willingness to challenge the status quo and push for change. As a student officer, I can draw inspiration from his leadership style and apply his principles to my work, such as being a champion for student rights, promoting diversity and inclusivity, and advocating for positive changes that benefit the university community.

For Women’s History Month, I would like to highlight my admiration for my girlfriend Elspeth Green. Her compassion for others, as well as her dedication to environmental sustainability, has been an inspiration to me. She demonstrates a genuine care for the world and the people in it, whether she knows them or not. Her selflessness and kind-heartedness motivate me to be a better person every day. I am also grateful for her support during my campaign, which has shown me the importance of collaboration and encouragement in achieving our goals. Women like Elspeth play an important role in shaping our world, and I feel fortunate to have her in my life.

Kathryn Manley

I am the current Deputy President here at the Guild so I have the experience when it comes to working with the university and the Guild on how to make change on campus. I graduated last year with a degree in Sociology and Social Policy so a big part of my studies was about education and how institutions like universities work and what their main priorities are. This is really helpful when it comes to negotiating with them and working with them. 

I actually have 5 main points but they mostly all interlink. 

• Tackle Sexual Assault and Violence: I will launch a campaign to highlight how to report any sexual misconduct on campus as well as work with the Guild and AU to extend bystander intervention training. Furthermore, I will also lobby the university to increase funding to their teams which support victims of sexual assault and misconduct. 
  • Improve the universities and the Guild’s sustainability policies: This includes continuing to improve the university’s ethical investments, ensuring they stick to their new sustainability plan as well as developing the Guild’s sustainability policies and working with the Climate Action Network Group at the Guild to support and launch climate-based campaigns
  • Support students through the cost of living crisis: This includes lobbying the university to have rent caps, increase their bursaries and cheaper public transport including the return of the night bus, student all-day tickets and reducing the cost of the Arriva bus pass sold in the Guild shop. I will also work to make the food and drink options cheaper in the Guild as well as expand the range including halal and kosher options. 

I am proud to be from Liverpool (Old Swan to be exact haha) growing up in the city the sense of togetherness and collective responsibility has resonated with me through my entire life. The student’s community is a diverse community with people from every walk of life coming together. It is important to note that different students face different issues and challenges however when we come together to lobby the university to be better amazing things can be achieved. 

I was the secretary of a society as a student however since being elected as one of your student officers last year being involved with student life and the university has been my job! My work this year has included see through a new disciplinary process which makes reporting any sexual misconduct easier, lobbied the university to increase the hardship fund which they did by £1 million! Introduced £2 pints on a Sunday and met with Arriva to alter their schedule for the 699.

I want to continue helping students get the best experience at university. Being a student is expensive, tiring and fun all at the same time. Being a student officer puts you in direct contact with people at the university who have control and say over certain matters including rent, price of food etc. You are also able to speak directly to lots of different students to see what matters to them and how you can help. I have a year of experience under my belt now so I know what to do and how to go about things. 

Honestly, I would go to Gavin Brown and the Vice-Chancellor Tim Jones to see if the university had known about this and if they had any plans in place. If they didn’t I would encourage us to work with the university to find translators and find common ways of how we can communicate between each other. It would also be a great way to learn about different languages and cultures so I would organise an event in the Guild where people can show off their cultures. 

The first thing I would do after getting re-elected is to go out with my friends but the first day of being an officer isn’t too fancy. You get lots of introductions to the Guild, what the role is, what your plan for the year is and meet all the amazing Guild staff. 

I don’t like comparing myself to world leaders but I do like Lula in Brazil. He has some really good sustainability and workers right beliefs and policies which I am very passionate about and have done a lot of work on this year. 

Rosa Luxemburg is a woman I admire. She was a Polish-German socialist who co-founded the anti-war Spartacus League in Germany. She stood up for working-class people and continuously resisted war and far-right and fascist ideologies. 

Philip Steve Mathew

As the Resident Ambassador for student accommodation, as well as, being the Course Representative for M.Sc. Economics, I have had ample opportunities to analyze students’ experiences. This has enabled me to deepen my understanding of what students expect out of a university.

Combining my work expertise with Ernst & Young makes me aware of what a Multinational Corporation expects out of graduates. To top it all, possessing the status of an international student furnishes me with the edge to pursue issues that are seldom pondered about.

An economist by temperament, quality of life and socioeconomic welfare are ideals that I hold the utmost regard for. If elected, I plan to vouch for an increase in the grant of scholarships. Battling for inclusive events and an increased number of spectacles to keep everyone better engaged during their time at the university.

Expansion of well-being support and help offered by Peer Mentors and increasing awareness about the signpost process, conducting Bystander Vigilance programs, and ensuring night safety by patrolling and improved CCTV coverage are also essential for a nurturing environment on campus.

It is my key mission to make at least a meal accessible to all students regardless of their socioeconomic background.

The city of Liverpool and the people with all their warmth have imparted a sense of belonging to me. I intend to extend on this feeling and impart it further to the entire student community in Liverpool.
For me, the university and the people working in it stand for achieving excellence. Be it in extra-curricular or in academics, the University of Liverpool is the numero-uno institution in the Merseyside area.
The hunger for attaining success and doing it humbly is a trait that the university, city, and I have in common.

Being one of the course representatives for my course (M.Sc. Economics), my peers and I have indulged in constant dialogues with the Professors in order to improve our learning experience. Not just the learning, we have also been in discussion to bring in inclusive events as a part of Liverpool life. These discussions have inspired me to work for a university that supports students from all backgrounds.

As Mahatma Gandhi said “be the change you want to see in the world,” I would adore being your student officer. Causing profound advancements in the social as well as academic circle is my main objective. Quintessentially, I look forward to making everyone better off than in previous years and making their time at university a memorable one. The current scenario is bleak, but with your valuable vote and support, I will work towards bringing a significant shift in your lives.

The first thing to do is to open discussion forums to understand and analyze the language dynamics of the student cohort. After conducting a preliminary survey to map the various major languages spoken by the student community, I would hold round table discussions with the teaching force of the university. In these discussions, I would try to organise the lectures and their fluency in major languages (spoken by the student contingent. Once this is done, we can assign a professor who speaks a language that is easily understood by the students.

We can also conduct robust language learning boot camps and asynchronous learning (through prerecorded videos) during the welcome weeks and throughout the year to better equip not only the pupils but also the teaching staff.

I would celebrate by first expressing my gratitude to God. The next in line would be to conveying my appreciation and tipping my hat to my campaign managers, that are Cerin Elsa Joji and Samarpan Malhotra for their relentless service and assistance they provided over the course of my campaigning. After which I shall be treating all my mates to a nice dinner at Nando’s followed by a few drinks!

The leader I prescribe to is Shaheed Bhagat Singh for his actions inspired the youth of my nation (India) to fight for our nation’s freedom. He used the occasion at hand to propagate the idea of India’s freedom. Even during his stay in jail, he went on a hunger strike against the policy of better treatment for prisoners of foreign origin.

Legend says, Bhagat Singh marched to the gallows with a smile on his face. According to me he is the epitome of courage. His selfless act has inspired me to take charge and fight for issues that will make everyone better off and no one worse off. He was a champion for the socialist movement in India and made a fiery dent in the colonial rule. I feel a similar drive when it comes to battling for the greater good. The passion for creating a better world is the main reason for my existence.

My Grandmother has always been my source of inspiration and strength. Right from a tender age, she instilled in me the rigor and virtues required to be an influential leader. Her eye for perfection and doing the right thing is my guiding light. She also taught me to stand up for the right cause and to give my cent percent at every I put my mind to. It would be my greatest achievement to make her feel proud of what I become.

Ujwal Mittal

As I am studying Finance, I like to quantify my objectives and achievements which makes it easier to find gaps between the two and then I am able to work on reducing those gaps and achieve more and better next time.

Secondly, one of my hobbies is travelling and exploring different cultures. Thus, I can talk with all the students effectively and understand the problems they are facing at the university, which is also one of my main manifesto objectives (see 2nd question).

Moreover, having already gone through an undergraduate phase, I understand the problems faced by all students. Also, I have proven my leadership qualities time and time again (see 4th question)

• Proper communication between the Guild of Students and students. A lot of events and awareness programs are organised at the Guild on a daily basis but they are not marketed well which is why students are not aware of them. I aim to change that by increasing the advertising of these events and I will also create a collaborative environment where students can openly discuss problems with student officers so that we can work on them together.
  • Making printouts from university printers cheaper or free at the best. As a lot of students have to get printouts on daily basis, this creates a burden on their pockets. Cheaper printouts will result in increasing their savings and thus reduce their burden.
  • Having interacted with a lot of students, I found that the university still needs to increase its mental health support. Thus, I will make mental health facilities such as counselling sessions more accessible and organise seminars and events to increase students’ awareness.

If you carefully see, there is one very important word hidden in ‘university’ and that is unity.

Now, as a candidate for the University of Liverpool Guild president, unity as a value is vital for me because I believe in equality, diversity, inclusion and a collaborative environment (which is also my main point in the manifesto). As the president, I want to understand the problems faced by all students so that we can collectively solve those problems.

My other important values are honesty and loyalty. I will not make false promises to anyone. Whatever I have mentioned in my manifesto, I am going to achieve it. Also, I will remain loyal to my position. Until I have achieved what you read, I am not going to give up.

Starting at the University of Liverpool, I joined Enactus- the social entrepreneurship society in which I became part of the Employable project which involved guiding and mentoring school students to increase their chances of admission to universities and employment. While associated with this project, I delivered a presentation at the Calderstones School and now daily talk with several school students to guide them. Also, I will be presenting to 1000+ students while representing the University of Liverpool at the Nationals Competition of Enactus. The results of 1st round were recently announced and we are in the top 20 teams in the UK.

Secondly, I successfully led a team of 5 students to win the 6 weeks University Business Challenge (UBC) Global Masters Challenge, a prestigious business competition in the UK, in which major universities of the UK participated. Now, I will represent the University of Liverpool at Birmingham for the 2nd round in which shortlisted 12 teams from different universities are going to compete.

Thirdly, as I am very much focused on sustainability, I have participated in volunteering programs of the Guild such as the Green Fingers Project, Gardening with Guild and Liverpool Cares. I have visited a nursery where I worked with children on a fun activity, and I took an active role in gardening at the Guild, thus improving greenery around campus. Also, I will now work with Liverpool Cares, where I will attend social events with elderly and disadvantaged people.

After I first experienced the problem of unorganised communication of events with students, I decided that I am going to solve this problem. And then after talking with multiple students, I got aware of other problems of students such as mental health issues, cost-of-living crisis, expensive printing, Canvas problems etc., and I got to know about upcoming student officer elections. Being problem-solving by nature and the great opportunity to solve these problems, I decided that I would run to be the Guild president this year.

Moreover, as I mentioned in question 3, the most important values for me as a student officer are unity, honesty and loyalty. If I am elected this year, I will collectively work with all students to solve their problems while remaining loyal to my position.

Hypothetically, if everyone already understands English, then it would not be a major problem to conduct classes since currently, there are a lot of international students who can understand English.

But, if the situation changes and now, no one can understand English, then it would be a little difficult to conduct classes smoothly. As professors can only take lectures in one language, the best way for all students to learn is by providing regional language captions in recorded classes and translation of notes facility on the Canvas.

But in my opinion, this solution will not be enough. Since these students will be targeting jobs after graduation, they are bound to learn English. To achieve that, the Guild will organise English classes thrice a week for these students. These classes will not only involve studying but fun games as well so that students get to know one another and understand different cultures. Moreover, I would ensure the Guild organises short trips around the city region every week, so all students get to experience the Liverpool city environment and have a more fun time together. All these actions would promote unity, diversity, equality and inclusion- the main values I tend to focus on.

After getting all this data, I will make a report summing up the responses by all concerned people. On the basis of this report and my further experience, I will be able to achieve my manifesto objectives.

I think this will pretty much sum up my first day as a student officer.

The leader I admire and I believe I am similar to is Phil Knight, the co-founder of Nike.

Phil started as a distributor of Tiger shoes (now Asics) and gradually started Nike. But his deal with Tiger shoes had some clauses related to the setting up of his company but he still did it because he was very passionate about the sports industry. Eventually, he and Tiger went toe to toe in court but still, he did not give up and Adidas was already a market leader at that time. But his perseverance and leadership style allowed him to create a small company into a sports empire. As a president of the finance and investment society and as leader of the winning UBC team (Question 4), I have already displayed my perseverance and never giving up personality.

Also, eventually, Nike invented a new way of manufacturing shoes which would pollute the environment a lot lesser compared to the previous ways. If they could have wanted then they would have filed for a patent but they made the technology public which allowed all the competitors to use the same technology, thus reducing the environmental pollution. My participation in volunteering programs shows that I focus on the environment and sustainability. To know more about him, please read ‘Shoe Dog’.

The woman I admire the most is Helen Keller. She lost her sight and hearing when she was 19 months old but only when she met her teacher, she learned to read and write. Only because she was so persistent, she learned how to communicate and inspired people with disabilities and supported various deaf-blind programs. She was a founding member of the American Civil Liberties Union and she campaigned for those with disabilities, labour rights and world peace.

Anyone else in her position would have given up but she did not. She was the first deafblind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree and even wrote 14 books. To know more about her, you should read ‘The Story of my Life’.

Ronald Prabodhae

As a 4th year mechanical engineering student with experience in handball, societies, and committee positions, I bring a unique blend of leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving skills to the table. My background, having been born in Italy and growing up in Sri Lanka, has given me a diverse perspective and a deep appreciation for different cultures. Additionally, my work as a bar representative at the university has provided me with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, enabling me to connect with students from all walks of life. Finally, my passion for handball and my experience as a vice captain have taught me the importance of collaboration, strategy, and determination. I believe that these qualities, combined with my technical expertise in mechanical engineering, make me a strong candidate for the position of university student presidency.

As a candidate for University of Liverpool Guild Presidency, I have identified three key manifesto points that will significantly improve the lives of all students.

• As a student representative for the University of Liverpool Sports and a past committee member, I am aware of the high cost of transport for students within the sports societies. To address this issue, I aim to secure discounts on trains, buses, and coaches or obtain a university coach that students can use for sports and university trips without incurring extra costs. By obtaining a university coach, the night bus problem can also be addressed, giving students a safe and secure nightlife experience.
  • I plan to prioritise the physical and mental health of students. Introducing small changes, such as meditation lessons, promoting self-care and physical activities, puppy yoga, and healthy food options within the guild food section. These changes will positively impact the well-being of all students, promoting a healthy lifestyle and reducing stress levels.
  • I want to bring students and the guild closer together by organizing new activities within and outside societies. These will include Halloween parties, international student nights, big fundraising camps, carnivals, increased society involvement, and increased capacity in the guild. This will increase socialization and promote a sense of community, which is essential for the mental well-being of students.

I strongly believe that implementing these manifesto points will significantly improve the lives of all University of Liverpool students. By prioritising physical and mental health, promoting socialisation and community involvement, and addressing transport issues, I am confident that I can make a real difference to the student experience at the University of Liverpool. I urge all students to vote for me as their next Guild President.

As a fourth year mechanical engineering student, I have had the opportunity to be involved in various extracurricular activities and hold multiple leadership positions within the university. Through my involvement in the handball club and committees, I have learned the importance of teamwork, determination, and perseverance. These values align with the city of Liverpool, which is known for its rich history of hard work and resilience.

Furthermore, my work at the Liverpool Football Club and in the hospitality industry has taught me the importance of providing excellent service and creating a welcoming environment. These values reflect the city’s friendly and inclusive nature, where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and embraced.

As a candidate for the university student presidency, I have the opportunity to represent these values and promote them within the student body. By demonstrating my commitment to teamwork, hard work, and inclusivity, I can inspire others to follow in my footsteps and embody the values of Liverpool as a city and a university. My experiences and leadership positions have prepared me well to be an excellent representative of the university and its values

As a fourth-year mechanical engineering student, I have made significant contributions to the University of Liverpool through my involvement in various extracurricular activities and leadership positions. My work as a bar representative demonstrates my commitment to providing exceptional service and creating a welcoming atmosphere for students on campus. Additionally, my participation in numerous societies and committees shows my dedication to community engagement and teamwork.

As a handball player, I have won multiple tournaments and held leadership positions, including the role of vice-captain, which demonstrates my dedication to sportsmanship, leadership, and teamwork. My experience working in tourism and hospitality with the Liverpool Football Club, as well as my current role as a hospitality worker at the university, show my commitment to excellence in customer service and creating a positive experience for visitors.

Furthermore, my academic achievements, including research projects and participation in academic competitions, demonstrate my commitment to academic excellence and my desire to expand knowledge and skills beyond the classroom.

Overall, my contributions to the University of Liverpool are diverse and impactful. Through my involvement in societies, leadership positions, sports, work, and academic achievements, I have demonstrated a commitment to teamwork, leadership, community engagement, customer service, and academic excellence. My contributions have made a positive impact on the university community, and my efforts have contributed to making the university a better place for all students.

People often stand for officer positions in order to have the opportunity to make a positive impact on their community or organisation. For some, it is a chance to give back to a community or cause that has had a significant impact on their lives. For others, it is an opportunity to develop their leadership skills and gain valuable experience that will benefit them in their future careers.

Running for an officer position means taking on a significant amount of responsibility and commitment. It requires a strong sense of dedication and a desire to serve others. As an officer, one has the opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of others by advocating for their needs and concerns, organizing events and activities that promote community building and engagement, and making decisions that benefit the organization as a whole.

To succeed in an officer position, one must be willing to listen to others, work collaboratively with other members of the organisation, and be open to feedback and constructive criticism. Good communication skills, strong organisational abilities, and a willingness to take initiative are also key qualities that can help an officer succeed in their role. Ultimately, success as an officer means making a positive impact on the lives of others and helping the organisation or community achieve its goals.

If everyone at a university spoke a different language, there would be several ways to ensure that classes could continue without disrupting the learning process. Providing translation services, creating language exchange programs, incorporating multilingual resources, encouraging cultural sharing, providing diversity and inclusion training, and fostering a sense of community could all help to promote cohesion, inclusivity, equality, and diversity among students and faculty. By providing these resources and opportunities, the university can ensure that all students have access to the same learning materials and opportunities, regardless of their language or cultural background. Ultimately, promoting inclusivity and diversity requires a flexible and creative approach that values the unique perspectives and experiences of each individual in the university community.

On the first day of being a student officer, my first priority would be to meet with other officers and university staff to familiarize myself with the responsibilities and expectations of the role. I would also seek to understand any current issues or initiatives that are ongoing within the student body, so that I can begin to prioritize my efforts and work with other officers to address these concerns.

To celebrate my new role and to foster inclusivity within the university community, I would organize a social gathering for guild officers and staff members. This event would be an opportunity to get to know each other, share interests, and bond over common goals. By establishing a strong foundation of collaboration and camaraderie, we can work more effectively to serve the student body and make a positive impact on campus.

Cristiano Ronaldo is a renowned professional footballer who has demonstrated exceptional leadership qualities both on and off the field. He has served as a captain for both his club and national teams and has shown great leadership skills in motivating and inspiring his teammates.

Ronaldo’s work ethic and dedication to his craft serve as an inspiration to those around him. His commitment to training and his tireless pursuit of excellence have earned him the respect and admiration of fans and fellow players alike.

Off the field, Ronaldo has also demonstrated leadership qualities through his philanthropic work. He has supported numerous charitable causes and has used his platform to raise awareness and funds for important social issues.

As a student leader, one could draw inspiration from Ronaldo’s leadership qualities, including his dedication, work ethic, and commitment to excellence. Additionally, his ability to motivate and inspire others, both on and off the field, serves as an example of effective leadership.

The woman I admire the most is my mother. Despite being a single parent and raising three children, including myself, while my father was in Italy, she worked hard to bring us to the UK. I am proud of my achievements and have been able to overcome life’s obstacles due to her sacrifices. Without her support and determination, I would not be here running for the Guild Presidency today. My mother has taught me the importance of perseverance, resilience, and hard work, and I am grateful for all that she has done for me and our family.

Vasiliki Samuels

I am in quite a unique position, as I am the current Guild President. My term so far has enabled me to have a better understanding of the role and the relationship between the Guild and the University. I have championed and represented the student voice in University committee meetings and lobbied for change that matters to student. From increasing the hardship fund by £1 million pounds, providing cheaper food and drink options in the Guild, increasing the frequency and number of 699 buses and ensuring minorities groups are supported beyond just the awareness dates. During my term I have developed a real passion for the job, and I would love the opportunity to represent students for another year. 

If re-elected I would aim to introduce: 

• Automatic self-certified Extensions: I do not think it is fair that students are required to continuously provide evidence of illness and/or personal issues to receive extensions (Exemption from Late Penalties), especially for short-term unforeseen illnesses. Therefore, I want to ensure the fruition of my original work, that enables students to receive four automatic Exemptions from Late Penalties over the course of an academic year. 
  • Expand Bursary Eligibility: My second aim is to ensure that the University widens the scope of students that can access the bursary scheme and increase the amount awarded. Whilst I have successfully lobbied the Uni to increase the hardship fund by £1 million, they have not reviewed their bursary scheme in years, coupled with the cost of living crisis there is a massive group of students that are not eligible despite being in financial hardship. 
  • Bring back the Night Bus: My third aim is to lobby MPs and bus companies to bring back the night bus. No more paying extortionate amounts of money for Ubers or staying at home because you simply cannot afford transportation costs. I have already successfully lobbied Arrive to adjust their bus timetables and will continue to campaign to get the night bus back. 

Whilst I am not from Liverpool, I have lived here for four years now. I feel as though both the City and the Guild, for the most part, share the values of fighting for justice, equity and equality. I feel as if I share those values. It has been my fundamental aim in this role to fight for those things and ensure all students, from all backgrounds feel supported, encouraged to strive, and celebrated. I also think the people in Liverpool, including the students, are extremely resilient, driven, and passionate about a range of issues.  Similarly, I share the attributes of pushing through even when faced with resistance from the University.  

As I have mentioned, I have managed to increase the hardship fund by one million pounds, provide cheaper food options in the Guild, launched a bus survey which lobbied Arriva adjust their timetables to suit the needs of students and continued the more than a month campaign to ensure all minoritiesed groups are supported and celebrated beyond just their awareness dates. This ranged from club nights to meet ups to book giveaways to panel discussion to craft workshops. 

In addition, at the initial stages I have got the University on board to introduce self-certification for Exemptions from Late Penalties. This will mean that students up to four times per academic year should not need to provide medical evidence for Exemption from Late Penalty applications. I have made campus a more inclusive place for everyone, and I even extended the £2 pints offer to Sunday just in time for the Jake v Tommy fight and the World Cup, maybe next time England. 

Truthfully, I am standing because it is difficult to achieve everything you want in one year – impactful change takes time. I have a real passion for this role and would love to be re-elected to see my work, especially regarding self-certification, come to fruition. Being the first Black female President, I also hope to encourage and empower more women to apply for leadership positions. 

Realistically Google Translate will be my best friend, but even that sometimes makes errors (I have experience from when I allegedly used it to cheat on my French tests in year 7).

On a more serious note, I would ensure that the University hire translators and interpreters to ensure classes could continue. Reaching out to the local community first would be my priority to provide them with these opportunities. I also think this hypothetical situation speaks to the real issue that the University needs to invest in diversifying its staff, which is something I am currently working on. 

In addition, I think it would be really important to see an increase in diverse events at the University. For example, things like the Culture Ball and the British Sign Language presentation hosted at the Guild. Whilst continuing academic classes are fundamental, a social and cultural shift at the University would be necessary to promote cohesion, inclusivity and equality. 

The reality of the first day for a student officer is training, training and some more training. However, my idea of a good first day as a student officer is a fun activity that will allow me to get to know the staff in the Guild as well as the officer team, I am about to spend a year working with. 

Last year, we did a fun activity hunting down places on campus based on clues we were given on a sheet of paper. I was surprised at how terrible I was at finding places on campus. In my opinion, that was a really good first day and I would want to replicate something similar. 

I do not think I can pick one world leader I think I am most similar too. I may have attributes from different leaders that collectively make up my personality. However, I do not really look up to world leaders, the people that inspire and influence me the most are the people in my close circle and around me all the time. 

I would have to say my mum, she sacrificed so much for me to be where I am today. She dedicated her life to making sure I had opportunities that she never had. I also want to say I admire my best friend, sister, and previous Vice-President, Jamilia. She is the reason I am in Liverpool today and she is the person that inspired me to run for Guild president in the first place. 

Richard B Vadakkan

As the NUS delegate, Chair of the ULMS Liaison Committee and Representative at the University of Liverpool, I have a tonne of experience to hold this position. Only six months have passed since I began my master’s programme in the UK. As a 21-year-old international student, I have already accomplished both my academic and leadership responsibilities.

• Cost of living crisis support: We are all aware of the issue and it affects both home and international students badly. I will take all the measures to financially make a student stable by helping them find appropriate part-time, hardship fund access and much more.
  • Ease of access to hardship fund: Although the university hardship fund is dedicated to students, it is a lengthy procedure and takes a lot of time for students to access these funds. There are students who get denied access even if the case is genuine. Thus, I will take measures to ease access to the hardship fund and make sure no genuine case is left behind.
  • Rent freeze: University accommodation prices keep on rising rapidly. In a time of living crisis, it is unacceptable for university accommodations to increase their prices. With already a high price tag in place when compared to private accommodations, I will try to freeze the rent and possibly try to reduce it.

The city of Liverpool is rich in nightlife and party vibes. It has beautiful buildings, museums and a nice dock. The people are friendly and welcoming. 

The University on the other hand has a reputation for academic excellence, innovation, and social responsibility. It promotes critical thinking, diversity and freedom.

1) I have taken part in professional photoshoots for the management school for promotional and marketing purposes. 

2) I am currently the course rep for MSc operations and Supply chain Management. 

3) In the Liaison Committee, I am the student chair.

4) I represent the students at the University of Liverpool at a national level by voting as an NUS Delegate in the national conference.

5) Had talks with the peer review team about receiving 5 more years of AACSB accreditation for our management school. AACSB is an international mark of excellence for business schools.

To make real change – I am confident in my capability to execute the promises that I have mentioned in my manifesto. I consider this as an opportunity to give back to the student community from what I have learnt in my student experience. This is also an opportunity for personal growth.

The first thing I would do is create a diversified team who speaks different languages and comes from different backgrounds. I would then advocate for language resources such as translation services, multilingual professors and language classes. 

I will work with the university administration to secure funding and resources to ensure that all students have access to the support they need.

The first day in office will include learning and observing, knowing how and why things are going on and understanding the bureaucracy in the educational system. By knowing this, I will be able to perform at the optimum level so that I can smoothly forward my agenda.

There is no world leader that is exactly similar to Richard. However, considering the leadership growth I had in the past few months, I would say I could be similar to Ron DeSantis (Governor of Florida).

I take motivation from anyone who chases their dreams, people who defy the doubt, who do not listen to the outside noise and who are committed solely to their purpose. Anyone who has these values is a person whom I have utmost respect for.

Dileesh Viswanath

I am one of the few people who always prefer talking to students face-to-face and not just via social media. I am compassionate to those in need, especially the oppressed, and passionate about helping them. I am proactive, not just reactive, and I believe we can progress beyond our challenges if we work together.  

I have a decade of work experience, which I can use to create excellent teamwork, motivate students, negotiate and convince authorities to bring more for the students and protect their rights. 

Emergencies have no waiting period, and the time to react to an emergency may be very limited. It is my assurance that I will be available at any time of the day, even beyond the working hours of the Student Guild, every day of the week. 

• Reflect students’ needs in our main policies and campaigns: More part-time job opportunities near universities. Increase the minimum wages (especially for those below the age of 23). Less physical stress at part-time workplaces. 
  • The Guild President will be available for 7 days a week: Your Problem Is My Problem 
  • Improvement of facilities and funding: Expand Gym/Sports Center & Library facilities. Free Printing, Coffee, Tea & Snacks at Libraries at all times. Increased Hardship fund.

The students in the University of Liverpool, and the local community of Liverpool are friendly and inclusive. My inherent inclusive nature resonates well with the values of this city and its people. For the first time in the history of the ULMS, MSc Project Management (with a class strength of 141) has an executive committee, which I took initiative to organize and create. This committee consists of students from different parts of the world, and Liverpool. It helps us run the leadership democratically, cater to the curricular and co-curricular needs of every student in the class, and enables the team to achieve more than what the course representatives could do alone. 

Currently, I am working as a course representative where I have brought about effective changes in the learning experiences of the students, such as Early module feedback, Resolving Evaluation Issues, Assignment Time Management, Social Events, Supporting the Executive committee to achieve their goals and Highlighting their works and achievements to the Directors, and providing feedback to the professors and at the SSLC meetings.

Furthermore, I represent the students at the Faculty Recruitment, Admissions and Widening and Participation meeting. Last year, I had also participated in the NUS delegate election, which I won. I am currently preparing to attend the NUS national conference and Liberation conference. During my campaign, I realized that several employers misuse Part-time work contracts, and there is a lack of jobs, for students, near the university. These are some of the core issues causing challenges in our education.

I am a strong advocate of democracy, accountability, proactivity and transparency. I am acutely aware of my qualities and skills and believe they are essential for a socially and environmentally sustainable future. Therefore, avoiding leadership is equivalent to committing an injustice to my inherent leadership characteristics. 

I have seen opportunities where improvements can be made to enhance the life of the students and staff and the university’s reputation through technologically driven methods without sacrificing the sustainability goals. Each facility in our university can be better. I would like to find a balance, negotiate and convince, both internal and external stakeholders, to improve students’ living and learning experiences.  

Some of the points in my manifesto are easy and economically sustainable to implement. In addition to this, the long-term benefits are enormous. 

Real peace and prosperity can only be achieved by working together, not creating division and favouritism. It is essential to create a culture of awareness among the UOL students, about who we are, what we stand for, and where we ought to go.  

First, we should consider conducting programs and events which include other cultures, where the guild student officers participate and highlight the values of the university.  

Secondly, we have approximately 130 nationalities here, most of whom speak English as their second language. Therefore, we all must understand the importance of effective communication over “just talking”. Therefore, I will encourage my colleagues and Guild staff to Convey messages in a way that the students understand, to always Listen to them, and adjust and adapt to the needs of the person that approaches them. 

Firstly, I will thank and celebrate with my team and the students who put their heart and soul into the campaign and believed in me and our ideology. Secondly, I will congratulate other winners, encourage those who did not fare well in the election and thank all the UOL students via social media. 

My model leader is my father, and I am like him. He dedicated his life to the place he was born and its people. He was a selfless, honest, and progressive leader. From 1980 to 1990, he worked hard as a corporation councillor, in Trivandrum, a city in the southern state of Kerala, India. He was key in developing facilities such as a healthcare clinic, children’s park and mini market to our locality, which was a rare achievement at that point in time. 

My mother. Our life begins and ends with a woman. I cannot imagine enjoying the healthy life I lead today without my mother’s commitment and sacrifices. She proved to us that we could achieve the most incredible feats through patience and commitment.