A woman sat at a desk with three other women on her laptop screen on an online meeting. Looks like hybrid teaching.

On Campus, Opinion

6th October 2021

Hybrid Teaching Survey Run By The Guild

Opinion pieces are the view of the author and in no way reflect the views of Liverpool Guild Student Media or Liverpool Guild of Students.

The Liverpool Guild of Students have taken to Instagram to inform students of their Hybrid Teaching Survey. This will generate a perspective on the student opinion of hybrid learning at the University of Liverpool. The survey closes at 5pm on Friday 8th October, so here’s everything you need to know!

Hybrid Teaching

A hybrid model of teaching is where education is delivered through a mix of in-person and online teaching sessions. The University of Liverpool are currently adhering to this model, as outlined back in March 2021. However, this is only the situation for semester one of the 2021/2022 academic year. So, what about semester two?

Plan for Semester Two

According to the Student Officers, things will change in semester two. The University will no longer decide how each module is delivered. Instead, it will be down to individual departments to determine what works best for their subject. The Guild have stated that they agree with this.

So, What’s the Issue?

This decision means that hybrid teaching could still be the preferred learning model in semester two. In their Instagram post, the Student Officers claim that the University is already making the decisions on how much face to face teaching we have before we’ve even stepped foot inside a lecture theatre.

They believe that the student voice, such as comments like the one below, should be heard and considered.

“What am I meant to do when I have 2 contact hours a week and 1 of them is in person? What’s the point lol”

Anonymous, LiverFess on Facebook, 27/09/21

More student opinions on online learning, from October 2020, can be found here.

Person writing in notebook with a woman on the computer screen on an online meeting, possibly demonstrating hybrid teaching. Cluttered desk.
Image Credit: Photo by Julia M Cameron from Pexels

Your Teaching, Your Say

Students are encouraged by the Liverpool Guild of Students to be a part of the decision of whether or not to continue hybrid teaching in semester two.

To have your say, take this survey and, if you want to, get involved in the focus group. Hurry, the survey closes at 5pm on Friday 8th October.

Where Will My Data Go?

The data received from the survey will be sent directly to the leaders of the University and Heads of Departments. 

What Do I Get in Return?

As well as the opportunity to have your opinion considered, you can have the chance to win a meal for yourself and five friends at The Sphinx. There’s also a £50 Mowgli voucher up for grabs, as well as lots more!

Featured Image Credit: Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels