A man smiling and dancing with a bar and neon sign behind him

Opinion

4th October 2021

LGSM’s Guide to Liverpool’s Best Nightclubs

Opinion pieces are the view of the author and in no way reflect the views of Liverpool Guild Student Media or Liverpool Guild of Students.

Congratulations – you’ve decided to study at the UK’s 7th hardest partying university (according to Unifresher!) Perhaps Liverpool’s array of clubs was the deciding factor in your choice to study here. Or maybe you were sensible enough to prioritise your degree subject when applying to universities. Either way, there’s no denying how great the Scouse nightlife is. Here are LGSM’s top picks of clubs that you have got to pay a visit to!

Blue Angel Night Club (“The Raz”) – Seel Street

It’s Monday night. You don’t really want to start your week off in a sweaty basement but you’re going to do it anyway. Home to raz bombs, fat frogs, and lots of iconic merchandise, you’re never denied a good night at The Raz. Now playing mostly throwback classics, this dingy little club is known to have hosted the likes of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and even Bob Dylan!

Tip: Sobering up in the queue for The Raz? No problem. La’go is a friendly bar just down the road where you can grab a quick drink! Just break off into smaller groups and get your mates to hold your place in the queue. Then, race back before the bouncers inevitably send you to the back of the line!

A blurry image of people dancing in a club with pink and blue lighting
Image Credit: Maurício Mascaro from Pexels

“Skint” at Peacock and Moloko – Seel Street

On Tuesday nights these two clubs team up to host “Skint,” a great budget option for students. Offering £2.50 double spirit mixers, £1 shots, £1.50 bottles and £2.50 vodka slushies, what’s not to love? If RnB, garage, house, and disco are your thing, get yourself down to Peacock and Moloko ASAP.

Prefer staying outside on a night out? This venue has a large outdoor area, perfect for the smoker and the social butterfly alike.

Level Nightclub – Fleet Street

Oh, Level. You either love it or you hate it. It’s cheesier than other clubs, maybe a bit more dressy, but if you love a good singalong, Level is the place to be. This venue tries to cater to a variety of music tastes and has three floors (uh, levels) playing different genres. These include house, RnB, and pop, respectively.

Level is also the club for you if you want to see a few celebs. This venue often hosts Love Island Meet and Greet style events, and if you’re a Liam fan, £2 tickets are currently still available on Fatsoma. Get them while you can!

Best nights for Level: “Quids In” Wednesdays, Saturdays

Heebie Jeebies – Seel Street

You can always rely on Heebies for a good night out. I mean this in the best possible way, but its decor reminds me a bit of being in a living room. It’s like one giant house party! Heebies will bring you all the best hip hop, RnB, and indie tracks.

Dirty Antics on a Thursday is where it’s at with £1 selected beers, £1 shots and £2.50 double vodka mixers. If I still haven’t convinced you though, Heebies even has a techno basement known as E.B.G.B.S. Be sure to check out the other events they host here throughout the week.

Black and white photo of people dancing in a club. Three young women in the forefront with one's arms up.

Electrik Warehouse – Wood Street

For me, Electrik is everything you want in a club. The atmosphere is always a 10/10 with everyone absolutely buzzing to be there. The tunes never miss and if, like me, you love a dance, the rock, indie, and dance anthems that Electrik provide are spot on. Electrik also hosts an array of events: Sh*t Indie Disco on Thursdays, Medication on Fridays, and Pandamonium on Saturdays.

Any negatives? 1) Be prepared to leave the club looking like you’ve just been swimming. 2) Doesn’t have much in the way of an outdoor area, they just allow you out into a gated area on the street.

Baa Bar – Fleet Street

This club guide would not be complete without giving Baa Bar a special mention. This place is like your most loyal companion. If you can’t get into any of the bigger clubs, Baa Bar will always let you in and never let you down! I can’t even tell you the number of times I’ve personally gone to Baa Bar as a backup but had one of the best nights out.

Open every single night, Baa Bar is famous for its amazing range of shooters. From Traffic Light to Baby Guinness, Baa Bar will satisfy all your shot needs! With free entry as well, what more could you ask for?

Shot glasses being clinked together by a group of people in a club. Young woman's face in shot.
Image Credit: Isabella Mendes from Pexels

Prefer to drink from the comfort of your own home (or rather, halls?) Check out how to have a DIY cocktail night on a budget.

Featured Image Credit: MART PRODUCTION from Pexels