On Campus, Sport

17th November 2020

Sport at the University of Liverpool – an insight from our AU President

Towards the end of October, I was in communication with all the sports teams at the University of Liverpool, hearing about the incredible hard work and resilience going on behind the scenes and in the training sessions as normality was beginning to return. It finally seemed that after months on the sidelines, our clubs could slowly go back to the way things were before. It was a joy to hear about their plans for training and coaching, as well as hopefully getting new members to join up. However, the progress was dealt a sucker punch when the UK’s second national lockdown was announced, and all sport, outside and indoors, was to be put on hold.

Liverpool Guild Student Media was able to interview the University’s Athletic Union President, Amy Hughes, who updates us on the the current status of Sports in Liverpool, as well as providing advice for students over the lockdown.

Who are you and what is your role this year?

I am Amy, a MSc Sports Business and Management student and President of the University of Liverpool Athletic Union this year.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/
How’s the start of Term been for the AU? What has the recent government guideline changes meant for the AU and sport?

The start of term has been a challenging one to say the least! The staff at Sport Liverpool and club committees have been working incredibly hard to make sure that outdoor sport could go ahead, and we saw the return of our outdoor sports clubs for the first few weeks of term which was lovely. Due to government guidelines indoor sport unfortunately wasn’t able to make a return.

How are clubs attempting to run things over lockdown?

Clubs have managed amazingly while we wait for return to play, many have come up with challenges, fitness sessions and plans, live workouts and skills sessions, fundraisers as well as online socials!

With lockdown hitting the UK once again, what is your advice to students who are wanting to stay fit and active?

My advice is to get fresh air! If you aren’t isolating make sure to get your steps in, it is so important that you’re burning some energy so that you can get a good nights sleep! Alternatively, try do a home workout a few times a week, Youtube have such a broad range of home workouts from Joe Wicks to Les Mills and so does our Instagram account which features Liverpool University students (@livuni_au)!

What is the importance of staying active in times like these?

Staying active is so important for both your physical and mental health! It is easy to forget how active we used to be without even knowing it, from walking to or around campus every day and not sitting at a desk (or lying in bed) all day! Try to create a routine and get some fresh air with your flatmates or housemates, it’ll make you more productive.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/
What are you hoping for in Semester 2?

I am feeling super optimistic for Semester 2, hopefully we will be allowed back to training and I know that clubs will be stronger than ever and we will hopefully be able to put on events like Varsity and Christie Cup!

If you want more information about Sport at the University of Liverpool, head to the Sport Liverpool website. See also Sport England’s guidance on the Coronavirus and the current rules on sport.