Food & Drink

14th November 2019

10 snacks you didn’t know were vegan

All your favourite snacks but they’re vegan? Who could ask for more?

To celebrate World Vegan Month this November, we have a roundup of snacks you may not know were vegan.

Whether you’re vegan or not, I am sure a lot of us have been eating these items and not even realised they were vegan, because I definitely didn’t!

We’ve found some popular snacks that are vegan and you can still enjoy, meaning you don’t have to give up your favourite foods to be vegan! We hope this also discredits the notion that those who with a vegan diet are confined to vegetables or are ‘healthy’ 24/7, but can in fact also indulge in treats.

Oreos

Photo by Arturo Esparza on Unsplash

Whether you dunk it or not, being vegan means you still get to have fun. The chocolate and cream biscuit is a student staple, often being able to pick up a packet for 50p on offer in Tesco or Heron Foods.

McVitie’s Digestives

Winter means it’s time for a cup of tea and a great biscuit. I’m sure a lot of us have enjoyed a cuppa with a digestive and as of 2019 McVitie’s have removed the skimmed milk from the product meaning its now vegan.

Shreddies Cereal

Although I will admit I’ve only ever eaten Shreddies at Easter to make chocolate nests (and had to spend the rest of Easter eating the cereal in order to finish it), it never would have crossed my mind this was vegan. But, it does make for a great vitamin-packed breakfast as a student.

Lotus Biscoff biscuits and spread

Photo by Anfal Shamsudeen on Unsplash

Lotus spread is definitely heavenly, as it is nice to know we can feel a little less guilty devouring it, knowing its vegan.

Doritos

Photo by Tamas Pap on Unsplash

Although most crisps are not vegan, Doritos Lightly Salted are, making this a great snack with salsa or guacamole or a meal addition such as with a vegan chilli bowl.

Co-op Doughnut

Yep, co-op doughnuts are vegan. There’s no need to give up these fried balls of goodness if you’re thinking of becoming vegan.

Warburton crumpets

Such an easy breakfast item to start the day off right, which you can also enjoy with some non-dairy butter.

Jelly tots

Anyone remember these childhood gems? They are packed with flavour and are a great on the go snack/ treat as a student.

Popcorn

Photo by Lynda Sanchez on Unsplash

The ultimate movie snack can also be quite a healthy snack when its not drenched in butter or any calorific accompaniments. Whether you’re vegan or not, this is a great on-the-go item as a student.

Frazzles

Surprisingly these meat-based crisps are vegan. Whether you’re looking to reduce your meat intake, or just love meat flavoured snacks, these are perfect for cravings.

These snacks show that it’s so easy to incorporate vegan snacks and meals into our lives and it doesn’t have to be a complete lifestyle change.

We hope you enjoyed this little round-up and if you’re planning to change to a vegan diet, that it doesn’t seem so daunting.

Check out more Liverpool Guild Student Media food & drink articles here.

Feature Image Credit: Pixabay